Gone those days when you really want to work under a boss. You probably want to be your own boss and work for yourself.
60% of this generation is talking about Startups in one form or the other. They either wanted to start a career with a Startup or make start on their own. 21% of the Startup Founders across the world are aged in between 24 to 30 years. This is a great number when compared 15 years ago.
Now here is a big thought for all those who either wanted to start or work with a startup.
Do I fit to start or work with a Startup?
Startups more often had to work really hard in order to be successful. I have personally known Founders and team working for more than 15 hours a day including weekends.
How long do they have to work so? – No idea at initial stages until you traction coming.
It looks fascinating to be associated with a Startup either by Founding one or working but do you really fit the bill?
Here are a few major points to consider.
- Do you need 9 to 5 jobs or want to work for 8 or 9 hrs a day?
- Can you take all the complaints from your family and friends of not giving time to them?
- Will you give up in 3 years if this is not working?
- Do you want to be on Page-3 or get media coverage?
- Do you have enough cash to survive for the next 18 months?
- Can you work for 15 hrs a day?
- Can you lose your weekends, festivals and important occasions?
- Do you think you would have VCs lined up in the next 1 year?
- Can you take all the criticism from your family and friends?
- Do you want a frequent vacation?
- Can you take a risk?
- Are you scared of rejections?
- Would you like to compare with your peers or Workmate on his earning vs yours?
- Can you manage your team at critical time to stay with you? Read this
- Can you take failures and rebuilt again and again?
Well, the list keeps continuing…If your answer is NO for any of these, then please don’t even try one.
Most often people think Startup gives you the flexibility to work as you wish, great perks, Great working environment, Huge offices, Parties , etc.
All that’s true after you achieve your goal. Again it really hard to say your startup will be in the list of 100 top startups to watch.
Learn techniques from great companies on how they were successful.